Tuesday, June 08, 2010

A Warm Memory: Pancit

When I was about six years old, my family lived in Kodiak. My parents had friends who were from the Philippines who were so generous! I remember being invited to their home for their family dinners (we were considered family) and seeing all the women in the kitchen cooking and laughing. Oh, the smells in that kitchen were divine! Adobo, lumpia and PANCIT! It was like magic in that kitchen! My mother was welcomed into the room and I saw her drawn into the group and taught the culinary sorcery of the Filipina cook. Then, I was off, to play with the many kids running about the place. Later, the meal was full of laughter and many helpings of everything.

My mom picked up the recipe and it never stayed the same. Sometimes the meat was shrimp or pork or even hot dogs when money was tight. The veggies were all over the place too. But the flavor was always amazing and takes me back. So, one day, while at the library, I spied a book that reminded me of that magic dish. "Cora Cooks Pancit" by Dorina K. Lazo Gilmore. It even had a recipe in the back! We took it home and I read the story with the boys to get them excited about the meal. I had hoped they would cook with me, but alas, the evening summer sun and a sprinkler called them outside, so I cooked alone. It was still wonderful, and the quiet of Lachlan in his wrap snuggled into me, I could remember the smells and laughter easier. Next time, they will help. So, without further adieu, here is.... Pancit!

  • 3 boneless chicken breasts plus 1/2 C. chicken broth and 1 tsp soy sauce
Chicken can be prepared ahead of time. Cook boneless chicken breast, chicken broth, and soy sauce in a crock pot or slow cooker on high for 3 hrs or on low for 6 hrs. Cool chicken and shred.
  • 1(8oz) pkg rice stick pancit noodles
  • 1(8oz) pkg dried shiitake mushrooms
Soak noodles in warm water for approx. 30 min. Soak mushrooms in a separate bowl of warm water for 30 min. Meanwhile, cut up vegetables...
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp plus 1/4 C. soy sauce
  • 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
Strain mushrooms and either leave whole, or do like I did, slice into thin strips (the better to trick little boys into eating them! Muhahahahaa!). Heat chicken, mushrooms, onion and soy sauce in a non-stick skillet. Stir in garlic and ginger. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 1/2 head cabbage shredded
  • 2 carrots thinly sliced
  • 3 celery stalks sliced
  • 1(8oz) can water chestnuts sliced
  • 1(8oz) can bamboo shoots sliced
  • 1(8oz) can baby corn diced
Heat oil in large shallow pot. Add cabbage, carrots, celery, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and baby corn. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook briefly, keeping the cabbage and carrots a little crisp. Add chicken/mushroom mixture.

Strain noodles. In a separate pot, bring 1 1/2 C. water, 1/4 C. oil, 1/4 C. soy sauce and a sprinkle of salt to a light boil. Add noodles and stir. Cook 5 min then pour noodles into the chicken and veggie mixture. Mix everything together and cook on low for 5 min.

Garnish, if you like, with sliced hard boiled eggs and green onions. Have fresh wedges of lime to splash on for a bit of brightness (must have this!). Serve!

Makes 10-12 (2 cup) servings

1 comment:

Chardizzle said...

I'm going to have to try this one! Thanks!

Past Musings You Might Ponder

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...