Saturday, July 03, 2010

Not Crunchy... Maybe Al Dente?

So, I have been working my way towards doing things more naturally. Eating fresher foods, less processed. Using homeopathic remedies rather than running to a doctor who will only treat the symptoms with a chemical. I am reading and researching more than ever. There are so many things I want to take advantage of and go as green as the rest of the family can stand. It's a slow process, but at least I know I am progressing in the right direction and my family will be healthier for it. I can't always afford to buy the products I know will be better for us, but do what I can and hope it makes enough of a difference to be worthwhile.

I heard the term "crunchy momma" while pregnant with my third and loved it. Crunchy, referring to granola, which seems to be a light hearted poke at the stereotype that hippies love granola, thus, the lifestyle of the hippy. Natural and organic. I found a doula to help me have the most natural birth a diabetic woman who cannot avoid a hospital birth, can have (it was wonderful btw). I have tried to minimize the trauma my son's first year of life could hold by choosing to breastfeed for as long as my damaged body will let me, and delaying vaccines which we will then pick and choose, when he is 2 years old. Finding doctors who are open to chiropractic care and home remedies. I have really enjoyed the process.

So, today was a milestone for me. I never thought I could consider cloth diapers. The idea of dealing with poop, more than what a disposable provides seemed gag worthy. I imagined the hygiene factor of laundry and a container of poopy, wet cloth was so very unappealing to put it lightly. Still, I did research with this baby. I knew it would be more economical (and who isn't willing to get a little dirty to save money these days!?). I bookmarked some sites, but never went through with it. Then, the incident occurred. Something that never happened with my first two.

The first diaper change of the morning revealed a blister on my son's credentials that looked painful, though he was smiley and didn't seem to notice. I was so upset. The other day, I had to go to the store for diapers. I am trying really hard to keep our grocery costs down and diapers, as we all know, are expensive. I had a coupon from a mailer and that same diaper was also on sale. Not my usual choice (usually a natural diaper with no dyes or perfumes), but it was on sale. It was so smelly with perfumes, but with a chemical scent. It didn't feel right, but I thought it would be fine. I was wrong.

So, today, I purchased a Gdiaper starter kit. I won't go into all that is fabulous about this product, but if you want to know more, just click on the name and it will take you to their site. I can tell you that his personality changed within the first hour of donning the adorable orange diaper. I am using the disposable inserts that can be flushed, composted or just thrown away (they biodegrade very fast), during the late afternoon (Lachlan's schedule to poop). I'm not quite ready for the clean-up process entailed with solid waste. For the rest of the day, I am using terry cloth hand towels folded in fourths. The blister is almost gone and the day isn't even over yet. I have 7th Generation diapers on standby and so far, I am sold on the cloth diaper idea. Oh, and while purchasing the cloth diapers, I also bought Pacific Natural Foods Hemp Milk. Vanilla flavored. I am excited to see what baked goods will be like with this product. 

So, I am another step closer to crunchiness and it feels good.

No comments:

Past Musings You Might Ponder

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...