Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sumptuous Peanut Chicken & Teriyaki Noodlin's

Oh my gosh! What can be better, than a dinner that is amazing immediately served, all steaming and calling to you? Well, that same dinner, leftover cold the next day. I found a fantastic recipe for a peanut chicken and just threw together a delicious teriyaki noodle that is delicious cold, even better served on top of a simple Caesar salad!

I have to credit the April/May 2011 issue of Garden&Gun magazine for the peanut recipe before I begin. However, the noodles are all mine! I am posting the recipe, with the addition of any changes I made during the process.

Peanutty Chicken & Teriyaki Noodlin's
  • 5 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
  • 3 green onions white and green parts chopped
  • 3 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp rice vinegar (I used "seasoned")
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I omitted this for the kids)
  • 1 3-4 lb chicken (had thawed 4 large skinless thighs)
  • 1 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger (for my application, chopped coarsely)
  • 2 garlic cloves (or 1 heaping Tbsp minced)
  • handful of fresh cilantro
Heat oven to 450° F. In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, half the green onions, soy sauce, vinegar, and cayenne. Gently, loosen the skin of the chicken and spread half of the paste between the skin and the meat. Or if you are following what I did, just slather it all over both side sides of the thighs. Rub the rest of the paste all over the outside of the chicken. Put the remaining green onions, ginger, garlic and cilantro into the chicken cavity. Since I only had thighs, I sprinkled that mixture in the bottom of the pan, then laid the chicken, meatiest side down. Roast the chicken, breast side down, in a roasting pan for about 20 min. Reduce the oven to 350° F and flip the bird (or in my case, the thighs) breast side up. Baste with any juices that have accumulated in the pan. Roast for 30-40 min, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 160°-165° F and juices run clear. Let the bird rest 10 minutes before carving.

Noodlins!

Trust me when I say, you might want to double this recipe. It's that good!
  •  1 10 oz package Chinese noodles used for chow mein  
  • 1-2 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Tbsp minced garlic
  • Kikkoman's Teriyaki marinade and sauce
Follow the directions for cooking the noodles, while those are going, begin sauteing the garlic and butter in a large pan until fragrant. When the noodles are al dente (about 3-4 min), drain and add to the cooking garlic. Toss noodles in butter/garlic sauce a few times, then add teriyaki sauce to your desired taste. I used about 1/2 C then left the bottle on the table in case anyone wanted more flavor. These noodles are amazing served cold over a plain caesar salad. Just trust me! There is a restaurant here that has a signature salad done this way and it is WAY popular!

The boys all raved about dinner. Lachlan slurped up the noodles happily. I was hoping for more leftovers.... looks like I'll be running to the store for more noodles to make up for a more adequate "leftover" lunch. Enjoy!

No comments:

Past Musings You Might Ponder

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...