- 1 Tbsp coconut or extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp turmeric powder
- 4 cups chicken stock or bone broth (for vegan use veggie broth)
- 1 head broccoli, trimmed and chopped (6 cups)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 avocado, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, chili powder, and turmeric and cook, stirring, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook, covered, until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, stir in spinach, and let cool slightly.
- Transfer soup to blend and puree with avocado. I like a little texture, so I left 3 cups out and mixed in the blended portion with the reserved. Adjust seasoning. Garnish with avocado and a drizzle of olive oil.