Sunday, January 16, 2011

Finally Something Healthy!

 I've been getting good-natured ribbing from friends on my choice of decadent and rich foods and desserts to share on my blog. Well, of course the goodies and rich comforting savory dishes are meant as an occasional thing, though I must admit that it is more frequent than it should be, especially since tax season is nearing at a rapid pace.

So, I decided that I needed to post a healthier dish that is easy to prepare and better for you. I try to eat high protein, low carb meals whenever possible. As a diabetic, this type of meal can take you a long way into the day before you feel like you need to eat again, because it is so filling. If you like hummus, then this will be a little familier to you.  Falafel!

I told my kids, on the way home from church that I would be making falafel.
They squinched up their faces:
"WHAT'S THAT!?"
"Well, that's how I feel when I eat too much sugar." I said.
"Huh?" said Connor.
"You know, I Falafel!" I said, giggling.
It took a little explaining...
"Say, 'I feel awful' really fast, now say 'I falafel' fast."

Pretty soon they were repeating it over and over. Hmmm... maybe it wasn't such a good idea to share my corny humor with them. Oh well. So, here it is folks, falafel done simply. Oh, and my kids liked it, until I added a ton of garlic to it (how I like it) then they told me it tasted good at first, then "tasted stinky". My kids are so funny.

Feast Ala Mid-East
  • 1 15oz can garbanzo beans
  • 1/4 C. shredded carrot
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 2 Tbsp tahini
  • 1 Tbsp water
  • 3 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
Preheat oven to 425°F. Rinse and drain garbanzos, and mash together with remaining ingredients. It's fine if there are some big pieces of bean.

Grease a cookie sheet with olive oil and shape mixture into 16 patties the size of a half dollar. Place on cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil. Bake for 10 min or until crispy, turning once. I found that they didn't turn golden or crispy on me (unsure if that is because I use a gas oven or not), but firmed up at least, so I lightly oiled a skillet with olive oil and browned the patties I would eat right away, while anything left over, could be refrigerated for the next day.


Creamy Sauce For the Falafel
  • 1/3 C plain yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp tahini
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
Mix together well. If too thick, add warm water by the tablespoon until desired consistency is achieved. Stuff falafel, tomato, and lettuce and onion into mini pita pockets. Serve with sauce on the side and maybe fresh cucumber.

No comments:

Past Musings You Might Ponder

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...