Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sweet & Savory Wins Hearts

Okay, I am drowning in pictures from our trip. I must have taken almost a thousand! I am having trouble knowing where to begin. So, I am avoiding and procrastinating.... sounds like it's time to cook! Pork chops were on sale so I prowled the aisles, wondering what to do with them. Shake and bake, while tasty, is such a cop out. Then, I remembered a delicious recipe that I've wanted to try that used apples. I am wary of sweet and savory, preferring to keep them separate. However, feeling adventurous, I think I succeeded in challenging my previously held notions.

Apple and Sage Pork Chops
  • 1 1/2 tsp. sage (rubbed w/fingers to crush)
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. ground thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika (smoked if available!)
  • 1 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 4 pork chops (boneless or bone-in)
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
Mix flour, all spices and salt in small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with seasoned flour mixture. Set aside remaining mixture.

Cook pork chops in hot oil, on medium high heat until browned on both sides. Remove from skillet and set aside.
  • 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
  • 2 small red apples, sliced thin
Add onion to skillet and cook 3 minutes or until tender. Add apples and cook additional 2 minutes.
  • 1/2 C. apple juice (fresh squeezed is best!)
  • 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
  • remaining flour/spice mixture
Mix juice, sugar and flour/spice mixture together and add to apples and onions in the skillet. Return pork chops to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until internal temp reaches 160° or no longer pink inside. I didn't specify a time, because it can vary based on thickness of chops.
Well, the kiddos loved it and had the gravy created, over mashed potatoes. My husband took the leftovers for lunch today. My six month old loved sucking on the cooked apples and I even mixed a little of the gravy in with his mashed veggies and he gobbled that right up. Enjoy!

No comments:

Past Musings You Might Ponder

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...