Saturday, July 30, 2011

What A New Pair Of Boots Can Do...

I am kind of in between the rough and tumble, and a bit of a priss. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, and working up a sweat doing honest work, while being truly grateful for indoor plumbing and the occasional latte. I've worked in a seafood processor (Icicle Seafoods, Inc.) during tanner crab season (3rd from the right, 3rd again,), and that specific job gave me a real appreciation for hard work and drive (as well as a hot shower after working in a freezer for 10 hrs!). I think the fact that I've given birth, fearlessly three times (okay, maybe there was a bit of trepidation with the first) is further proof that I am quite capable and strong. Still, the transformation that our family has been going through, getting this farm up and running again, has amazed me.

It truly hit me, when I traded my girlie Sketchers in, for a pair of Danners, and I was excited about it. I wore them all day after bringing them home, and love them. I had gone in looking for work boots, to protect my feet and shins and was so disappointed in the selection for women. I mean, they were "pretty" and hardly serious! I looked towards the men's department, certain I wouldn't find a pair less than 10 lbs and ugly. Luckily, my husband helped me try a few on, and I walked away with these:

Now, I am ready to go hiking, stomping through the brush, get down and dirty doing yard work and gleaning material from the old homestead.... of course, that brings up something else I am working on... the ick factor of spiders and cobwebs in dark dusty places. I can push through for a while, before having to retreat to madly slap and brush off real AND imagined bugs. Hey, love me for who I am! Or you can show yourself to the door!

Now, when the morning comes, and my soon to be 8 year old asks, "What are we doing today momma?" I can say with confidence, "Adventuring!"

1 comment:

Kim said...

What a blessing it will be for you & your family to be living an adventure on a farm. It sounds like you are all fitting well into your new lifestyle. Your stories & pictures have been fun to follow. I'm glad that things are going so well for all of you.

Past Musings You Might Ponder

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...