Sunday, September 16, 2018

Gluten/Grain/Sugar Free LCHF Cheddar Biscuits

Okay, that is an obnoxiously long title. LOL

So, I was craving bread. Cheesy, bread to be exact. I've been going strong not eating any wheat, and staying pretty low carb (60-75g a day) because carbs are not my friend when I'm struggling with my blood sugars. So I decided to take a drastic step and heavily restrict my diet. I'm not counting carbs or calories. However, I've been keeping a food journal with an app and it has a food list that has all the nutritional info for most things I have been eating. If it doesn't have it, I can add that from a label or use a recipe nutrition calculator to find out the nutritional info on something I've homemade. I'm tracking my blood sugar trends and trying to figure out the weird blood sugar spikes I've been getting even if I haven't eaten anything.

Anyway, so all that struggle led me to searching for a way to use my coconut and almond flour to make bread that won't spike my blood sugars. This led me to Yummly  which is super handy because it has all these filters to find exactly what you are looking for in a recipe. I had to tweak the recipe I used a bit, and considering conditions where you are might be different from mine, and/or differences in brands of flours used, you might need to fine tune this recipe. The point is, you can adjust until the consistency of dough is more like a drop biscuit, if your dough starts out too runny. It should be easily mounded up on a spoon. Don't skip greasing your sheet pan or else your bread is very likely to stick. I heard some people grating parmesan cheese on top before baking, which sounds delicious, as does using aged white cheddar. Either way, have fun and enjoy your results!

Keto Cheddar Drop Biscuits
     Keto Cheddar Drop Biscuits
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 1/3 cup almond flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Blend together eggs, coconut oil or butter, salt, and onion powder. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk into batter until there are no lumps. Fold in cheese. Drop batter by the spoonful onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Past Musings You Might Ponder

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...